Hiring a recruitment firm is like jumping into a pool…
You need to be sure that there is water in there before you jump.
When hiring a Recruiter, the “water” is the following criteria: The type of Candidate that the firm refers, i.e. software programmers, sales executives or marketing professionals; the market segment that they recruit for, i.e. business, healthcare, or government; and their recruiting process, guarantee, hiring assistance, customer service and references.
Candidate Type and Market Segment
The most important criteria are Candidate type and market segment. Select a recruitment firm that specializes in the type of Candidate that you need and your market segment. This will reduce recruiting time and increase the quality of the Candidates.
Evaluate the Recruiting firm’s process.
- Do they listen carefully to your requirements and document them?
- Do they have an extensive database that includes the type of Candidate that you need?
- Do they have an external network of contacts to augment their database?
- Do they carefully screen Candidate resumes against your requirements?
- Do they perform in-depth Candidate interviews?
- Do they consider Client culture and Candidate personalities?
The guarantee that the Recruiting firm provides in the event that the Candidate resigns or is terminated is an indication of their performance. Ask the following questions:
- What is the time frame of the guarantee? This usually varies from thirty to ninety days from Candidate start date.
- What are the conditions that trigger the guarantee? For example, resignation, performance, cause, or any condition.
- Does the guarantee include a replacement of the Candidate or refund of the referral fee? A guarantee of a refund may be a reflection of the Recruiter’s confidence or an indication of business problems.
Request Client contact information from the Recruiting firm, so you can discuss performance with their Clients. For example, does the Recruiting firm provide Candidates who are screened to meet Client requirements on a timely basis, or do they flood the Client with resumes from semi-qualified or unqualified Candidates?
Evaluate the Recruiter’s ability to assist in the hiring process. Are they skilled at making offers to Candidates and helping Candidates understand the value of the offers? Does the Recruiter increase the percentage of offers that are accepted and the percentage of Candidates who actually start work?
- Is the Recruitment firm available when you need them?
- Will they assist you in preparing a Job Description?
- Can they provide guidance regarding compensation, job titles, etc.?
- Do they submit referrals on a timely basis?
Mission and Values
What is the Recruiting firm’s Mission and Values? Although it is easier to prepare Mission and Value Statements than it is to honor them, there is validity in at least comparing them to yours.
Contingency or Retained Recruiting
There are many pros and cons regarding contingent vs retained recruiting. The most significant are:
- Retained recruiting fees are generally significantly higher than contingent fees.
- Retained recruiting requires an upfront fee. Contingent recruiting firms are paid only on a success basis if their Candidate is hired, so Clients have no risk.
- With retained recruiting, you work with only one firm. With contingent recruiting you have the option of working with more than one firm, which may result in qualified Candidates on a more timely basis.
Perhaps the bottom line should be to try contingent recruiting first, at no cost or risk to you, and if it is not successful, consider a retained recruiting firm.
Contingency referral fees can vary significantly. However, the most common range is 15 – 20% of Candidates’ first year base salary. Be sure to ask about all charges and conditions.
As part of our commitment to World Class Recruiting Service, CNI Recruiting publishes articles of interest to Partners and Friends. We are based in New Jersey and recruit throughout the U.S. for Sales And Marketing Professionals. We achieve the right match between our Clients and Candidates on a timely basis for a reasonable fee.
If you require assistance in achieving your recruiting goals please contact us today…we will exceed your expectations.